*The critics have spoken, and it’s pretty bad.
Based on reviews and test screenings from across the country, “Grown Ups 2” is a clear front runner for worst movie of the summer.
The film starring Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, Kevin James and David Spade has received a ton of negative feedback ahead of its release in theaters today.
It earned only 7% positive notices, according to the aggregation site Rotten Tomatoes. That’s a slight improvement from the initial round of reviews for the film, where a rock-bottom 0% of the “Grown Ups 2″ reviews were listed as favorable. At Metacritic, “Grown Ups 2″ received 21 out of a possible 100 points.
Compared to some of the summer’s biggest fails according to critics, “Grown Ups 2″ has been trashed harder than Will Smith’s “After Earth” (11% positive reviews), Bradley Cooper’s “The Hangover Part III” (19%), Johnny Depp’s “The Lone Ranger” (26%) and Vince Vaughn’s “The Internship” (36%).
“This movie is what you’d call family fun,” argues Rock, in full sell mode during interviews for the movie. “It’s for the whole family. Now, who do you have in your family? You have a momma. You have a daddy. You have a sister, you got brothers. You got a cousins. All of them should see the movie.”
“I would say it’s not even just family entertainment, its community entertainment,” he continued. “So tell the butcher, the baker the candlestick maker to go see the movie. I mean is there really a candlestick maker anymore? Is they’re—they are all made in factories right by machines?”
The Huffington Post went so far as to compile the top nine most scathing reviews of “Grown Ups 2”:
1. “Sandler’s first actual sequel, ‘Grown Ups 2,’ is even lazier, dumber, and less funny than usual. It’s worse than most comedy sequels, worse than most Sandler movies, and worse than most food-borne illnesses.” — Eric D. Snider, TWITCH
2. “Believe it or not, ‘Grown Ups 2′ is better than at least one other movie in existence, and that movie is ‘Grown Ups.’” — Katey Rich, CinemaBlend
3. “[Sandler’s] the white Tyler Perry: smart enough to know better, savvy enough to do it anyway, lazy enough not to care.” — Mark Olsen, Los Angeles Times
4. “‘Grown Ups 2′s’ suburban vignettes find room for every lowbrow gag: chocolate-as-poop jokes, Shaquille O’Neal’s clown faces, digs at transgender bodybuilders and the ‘burp snart’ — a burp-sneeze-fart combo given more screen time than any of the female performers.” — Matt Patches, Time Out New York
5. “Among the slackest, laziest, least …read more