Each Board Operator at Radio Free 102.3 KJLH plays a crucial role in ensuring the smooth operation and broadcasting of the radio station. This position involves operating and maintaining the technical equipment necessary for transmitting radio programs, advertisements, and other audio content to the station’s audience. The board operator is an integral part of the production and programming team and is responsible for executing broadcast schedules accurately and efficiently.
To ensure that the radio station operates smoothly and efficiently, complies with all applicable laws and regulations, and delivers a high-quality listening experience to listeners.
The Board Operator shall have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Airs live and pre-recorded shows
- Monitor the technical quality and accuracy of incoming and outgoing on-air programming from master studio control room
- Flexible schedule availability to work overnight, nights, and weekends
- Assists with remote appearances
- Completes traffic logs and fixes logging discrepancies
- Engineers’ remote broadcasts and follows station procedures.
- Airs emergency alert system tests as indicated
- Regulates timing of programs, operates syndicated programming, and plays commercials and promotions as scheduled
- Off-air support of commercial production, dubbing music to hard disk and programming automation computers
- Coordinate with show hosts and producers to screen calls during live broadcasts
- Participate in regular equipment checks and report any maintenance needs to the engineering department
- Performs on-air announcements or shifts as assigned
- Previous experience as a board operator or in similar technical role in the broadcasting industry
- Proficient in operating radio broadcast consoles, automation systems, and other related technical equipment
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work under pressure to maintain a seamless on-air experience.
- Knowledge of FCC regulations and broadcasting standards is advantageous
- Flexibility to work irregular hours, including overnights, weekends, evenings, and holidays as radio is a 24/7 operation
- Recording equipment experience and broadcast board familiarity
Education: High school diploma / College/university degree preferred from an accredited institution preferred
KJLH SALES ASSISTANT
Department: Sales Supervisor’s Title: General Sales Manager Mission: To assist the Sales Department in daily administrative tasks
Duties / Responsibilities:
- In put all sales orders. Knowledge of Rumple & Marketron Systems
- Input all streaming orders. Knowledge of Wideorbit System
- Pull quantitative ratings for account executives. Knowledge of Nielson Audio
- Pull qualitative profiles for account executives. Knowledge of Tapscan / Scarborough
- Pull impressions and statistics for digital assets. Knowledge of Futuri
- Post and monitor client related banners/ eblast / social media post
- Work with Continuity / Traffic department to pull client spot times and assist with client copy and commercials. Marketron Hub
- Ensure sales related materials and sponsorship packages are updated within the Shared drive and K file
- Work with sales managers, account executives and promotions director to ensure client needs are met across platforms and events.
- Work with management at all station tent pole events to ensure client needs are met on site ie assignments, load in, etc.
- Act as liaison for sales department with all internal department heads to facilitate sales and client needs.
- Prepare or assist in the preparation of proposals, memos, schedules, and client communications.
- Assist in preparing client pitches, prepare schedules / sales orders, mailing of contracts.
- Assist sales with client credit reference checks and credit forms
- Assist sales with invoices, billing and collections efforts
- Maintain annual promotional calendar and augment / update on a weekly basis
- Cover the receptionist desk during breaks, lunch, sick days and vacation days
- Act as liaison between account executives and clients
- Act as liaison between sales vendors and resources
- Coordinate sales supplies and equipment services. Working with Accounting and engineering.
- Must be highly organized and have the ability to schedule work effectively
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Must be able to work in a fast – paced environment
- Must be able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Must be computer literate and internet (digital) savvy
Education: High School diploma College / University degree preferred from an accredited institution
STREET TEAM MEMBER/VAN DRIVER
Department: Promotions Supervisor’s Title: Community Affairs Director
Mission: To support 102.3 KJLH initiatives, marketing, and sales promotional efforts by assisting the Community Affairs Director at station events. Street Team member will act as brand ambassadors during all KJLH-sponsored events.
Business Objective: Street Team members /Van Drivers assist with onsite event activations that promote the station and engage with listeners in a positive, vibrant fashion. Street Team Members/ Van Drivers will also safely operate the promotional vehicles by following the guidelines of the Department of Motor Vehicles of the State of California while representing KJLH and yourself in the best possible light.
Duties/Responsibilities: The Street Team Members/Van Drivers have a range of specific duties and responsibilities, all of which they handle with confidence and skill.
- Representing 102.3 KJLH as knowledgeable and enthusiastic Brand Ambassadors.
- Attending all KJLH-sponsored events when requested, arriving at least 15 to 30 minutes before the event starts.
- Engaging with the public, playing event-appropriate music, organizing games, and trivia.
- Capturing station events by posting photos and videos on all KJLH social media platforms with accuracy and flair.
- Setting up and breaking down audio equipment, speakers, promotional tents, hanging banners, and other staging elements.
- Checking inventory of promotional items before scheduled events, ensuring everything is in working order.
- Ensuring all promotional equipment is accounted for and stored in an organized manner after the event.
- Reporting any disrepair of station promotional materials promptly and efficiently.
- Complying with California DMV laws while driving promotional vehicles, maintaining the highest standards of safety and responsibility.
- Possessing a valid California Driver’s License and being able to drive vans, SUVs, or trucks with confidence and control.
- Transporting promotional materials to and from various locations, handling all logistics professionally.
- Must have a valid CA Driver License.
- Must have strong verbal and written skills.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills, i.e., warm, friendly, and courteous.
- Organizational skills; ability to prioritize and effectively manage time
- Must be mature and hold confidentiality in the highest regard.
Education: High School Diploma
Experience needed: QUALIFICATIONS: High school graduate; college preferred. Minimum 2 years’ experience in sales/marketing; Experience in online marketing & digital assets is required; previous radio sales experience preferred; must have basic knowledge of Microsoft Office. Requires valid driver’s license, vehicle insurance, and dependable transportation. Must possess excellent organizational/time management skills. Must be self-motivated, self-disciplined, have a positive attitude and be an effective communicator and story teller.
Description: ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Generate online revenue through streaming, banner display, and other digital properties.
- Experience in email marketing, banner display, retargeting, and social media
- Contact prospective customers to sell radio packages for broadcasting station inclusive of commercial spot inventory, digital and streaming packages and non-traditional revenue.
- Spend at least 75% of work time engaging in sales and solicitations outside of the office.
- Proactively prospect and perpetually grow their contact list
- Build business from advertisers who have local marketing budgets
- Responsible for exceeding sales budget and collection of sold accounts.
- Maintain account lists while soliciting new business.
- Prepare promotional plans, sales literature, and advertising proposals.
- Develop and maintain relationships with clients by providing top quality service.
- Investigate and resolve customer problems.
- Communicate with other departments to assure quality service in placing orders and arranging promotional events.
- Attend sales meetings, training sessions, and client remotes.
- Performs all other tasks perceived, assigned, and/or required that contribute to the smooth running of the department and to the achievement of departmental and station goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
102.3 KJLH is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. 102.3 KJLH makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.